A – Z of Toxicity in our home – Glycol Ethers

A common solvent in paints, cleaning products, brake fluid and cosmetics, glycol ethers are known to shrink the testicles of rats exposed to it. Linked to the damage of fertility of unborn children, as well as reported cases of asthma and allergy in children exposed to it from the paint that coats their bedroom walls.Continue reading “A – Z of Toxicity in our home – Glycol Ethers”

A – Z of Toxicity in our home – Formaldehyde / Formaldehyde releasers

Some cosmetics chemicals are designed to react with water in the bottle to generate a little formaldehyde, a preservative, to keep the product from growing mould and bacteria. But formaldehyde is a potent allergen which the World Health Organization consider carcinogenic. Formaldehyde releasers include DMDM hydantoin, imidazolidinyl urea, diazolidinyl urea, and quaternium-15. A 2010 studyContinue reading “A – Z of Toxicity in our home – Formaldehyde / Formaldehyde releasers”

A – Z of Toxicity in our home – Ethanolamine – MEA/DEA/TEA

These are pH-stabilizers and are used as emulsifiers and preservatives, in a host of personal care and household cleaning products. They have the ability to interact with nitrates in some products or the raw materials in products to form easily carcinogenic nitrosomes which are easily absorbed Found in: All-purpose household cleaning products, spot removes andContinue reading “A – Z of Toxicity in our home – Ethanolamine – MEA/DEA/TEA”

A – Z of Toxicity in our home – Ammonia, Ammonium compounds

Ammonia & Ammonium compounds Used in a wide range of household cleaning products like window cleaners, drain cleaners, toilet cleaners, bathroom cleaners, multi-surface cleaners, glass cleaners, and stainless-steel cleaners, it is an inexpensive and effective cleaning chemical. It gives a sparkling, streak-free finish, removes soap scum and fungus and can disinfect household appliances while removingContinue reading “A – Z of Toxicity in our home – Ammonia, Ammonium compounds”

A – Z of Toxicity in our home – 2-Butoxyethanol

2-Butoxyethanol Also known as 2-butoxy-1-ethanol or Ethelene glycol monobutylether, it is used in a wide range of household cleaning products, and is readily absorbed through skin. It is neurotoxic, damages blood – and the body’s ability to make blood, the central nervous system, kidneys and liver.