Hydration sensation by Dr. Sarah Schenker

 Proper hydration is crucial for overall health. Are you getting it right? Dr Sarah Schenker, Dietician, Liiv Health Sciences, answers key questions.

 Q: How much liquid should an adult woman drink every day?

A: The European Food Safety Authority recommends women in general should have a minimum intake of two litres of water per day, suggesting 70-80 percent should come from drinks and the remaining 30-20 per cent, from food. Unfortunately, many women find it difficult to engage with the ‘drink more water’ message, often because they find its lack of taste uninspiring.

 Q: Do many of us miss the cues that we are thirsty? A: Our bodies regulate fluid balance by creating a sensation of thirst. As we get older, we are able to ignore mild cues and put off drinking until later if we think what we are doing is more important than stopping for a drink. However, studies have shown that if we’re dehydrated by just 2 or 3 per cent it can start to have negative effects on mental and physical functions, which become more severe as dehydration worsens – and the feeling of thirst may not kick in until the body is four or five percent dehydrated. It can affect mood, causing feelings of irritability and it can sap your energy levels. Some people find it also causes headaches.

Q: Can you count other liquids in the suggested daily intake of two litres?

A: All drinks, except alcoholic ones, contribute to fluid intake but some are obviously much better choices than others. Water is great because it is calorie-free and can also provide a few minerals, such as calcium and magnesium. Drinks such as tea and coffee can be fairly low in calories, as long as you’re not adding lots of extras like sugar or cream, and count towards your fluid intake. Sugary drinks and sweet milkshakes should only be consumed in small, infrequent amounts, if at all. As water is the best way to hydrate regularly throughout the day, finding a way to up your intake is invaluable, which is where Liiv Organic Aloe Green Tea & Ginger Drink Concentrate comes in.

Sip, Sip Hooray!

 Introducing Liiv Organic Aloe Vera, Green Tea and Ginger Drink

We know that women find it hard to drink two litres of water a day, which is why we’ve created Organic Aloe Vera, Green Tea and Ginger Drink. It’s a cordial containing botanical extracts that you simply dilute in water for a tasty option. With no sugar and containing only natural flavours, it’s refreshing with a delicious, tropical taste.

It contains three botanical extracts.  Here are some of the benefits associated with these ingredients:

  * Aloe has anti-oxidant and antibacterial properties and may help to regulate blood sugar levels and reduce cholesterol levels.

* Green tea is a good source of anti-oxidants, which can help prevent damage to cells and oxidative stress. Antioxidants can help reduce the risk of certain chronic diseases, such as heart disease and cancer. Green tea extract may also reduce inflammation in the body and help balance blood sugar and cholesterol levels. It has been suggested it may also aid weight loss.

* Ginger contains compounds known as gingerols, which have anti-inflammatory effects





Published by Editor

PeopleMatterTV - experts and journalists - making a difference in the world

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: